Zero Hedge:Cascend: Knowledge Exhibits Wind-Energy Was Chief Offender Of Texas Grid Collapse With the worst of the Texas energy disaster now behind us, the blame and fingerpointing begins, and whereas the jury remains to be out whose actions (or lack thereof) might have led to the lethal and widespread blackouts that shocked Texas this week, Cascend Technique writes that “in case there was any doubt why the Texas grid collapsed, the information is evident”
* Wind failed as “Ice storms knocked out practically half the wind-power producing capability of Texas on Sunday as an enormous deep freeze throughout the state locked up wind turbine turbines, creating an electrical energy technology disaster.”
* Pure fuel made up the distinction for some time
* However then the whole lot else adopted down
Some extra element from Cascend which lays out the occasions of this week in sequence:
* An enormous chilly snap drove demand for electrical energy effectively past regular ranges
* Wind energy did not ship it’s anticipated energy – virtually 40% of anticipated energy – partially because of lack of winterized wind generators
WNU Editor: Cascend’s suggestions are the next ….
1) Winterize tools
2) Require energy reserve
3) Join the Texas grid higher
4) Add photo voltaic with storage (storage is vital)
5) And add extra pure fuel
I concur with the above Cascend advice that Texas should spend cash on winterizing their tools, and connecting the grid higher. We did it in Quebec, and we’ve got fared (to this point) fairly effectively.
As to the boundaries of wind-power. Canada has additionally realized how unreliable they are often in winter, and why they should be constructed to resist harsh circumstances like ice.