Daily Mail: Mike Pence admits 126,000 Americans have died and 2.5 million contracted coronavirus as cases soar and that he only has ‘hopes and prayers’ that mortality rate will not soar too – but claims there is ‘remarkable progress’ and DOESN’T wear a mask* Pence and the coronavirus held their first press briefing in two months
* Offered ‘sympathies and our deepest condolences’ to victims and families
* ‘We slowed the spread. We flattened the curve’
* He was joined by Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Deborah Birx
* ‘We now have seen cases begin to rise precipitously across the South,’ he said
* President Trump cancelled a planned trip to his New Jersey, where the governor requires a 14-day quarantine to those who visited hotspots
* Pence would not urge people to wear masks, instructing them to follow local authorities
* Pressed on Trump campaign rallies, he cited the right to assemble
* Asked by DailyMail.com if he’s worried the death rate could rise in the next few weeks, Pence replied: ‘‘Our prayer is it’s not the case’
Vice President Mike Pence celebrated ‘remarkable progress’ against the coronavirus, even as he acknowledged a surge in cases and the startling number of deaths due to the pandemic at the coronavirus first task force briefing in months Friday.
‘We slowed the spread. We flattened the curve. We saved lives,’ Pence told reporters at a task force briefing Friday – this time held for the first time at the Department of Health and Human Services.
He offered ‘sympathies and our deepest condolences’ to families and victims – and kicked off the briefing by citing the grim statistics, with 125,000 dead and more than 2.5 million Americans infected.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: It is not going away …. Trump says the coronavirus is ‘going away.’ His own task force disagrees (NBC).
Update #1: This is definitely a very special disease …. Scientists just beginning to understand the many health problems caused by COVID-19 (Reuters).
Update #2: Here are some polling numbers …. Americans increasingly cautious as coronavirus cases surge (IPSOS).
More News On Covid-19 Coronavirus Cases Continuing To Grow In The U.S.
The Latest: Florida bans alcohol at bars as virus cases soar — AP
Florida, Texas Close Bars, Arizona Warns Hospital Capacity Limited, With US On Track For 3rd-Straight Record Jump: Virus Updates — Zero Hedge
States retreat as confirmed virus cases hit all-time high — AP
A quick reopening, a surge in infections, and a U.S. recovery at risk — Reuters
Governor of Texas closes bars for a SECOND time and Florida follows suit while Arizona tells residents to stay home as all three states battle record spike in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations — Daily Mail
Florida Shatters Daily Coronavirus Record, 8,942 New Cases In One Day — CBS Miami
Houston Facing ‘Apocalyptic’ July 4 Holiday as Virus Surges — Bloomberg
Newsom Warns Of Another Shutdown Due To Growing Coronavirus Cases, Leaving Local Businesses In Jeopardy — CBS Los Angeles
Gov. Greg Abbott orders Texas bars to close again and restaurants to reduce to 50% occupancy as coronavirus spreads — Texas Tribune
How Arizona’lost control of the epidemic’ — Jeremy Duda, Isaac Stanley-Becker and Chelsea Janes, The Washington Post